Special to the Mirror

MONTROSE—Your Veteran’s Service Officer, for Montrose and Ouray Counties, is Tom Wright: He is a Veteran of Vi- etnam and Desert Shield/Desert Storm.

He assists Veterans in obtaining benefits. Those young men and women, who are leaving the Service, should contact Tom to become familiar with the Veterans’ Ad- ministration (VA) benefits that you de- serve, for serving your Country (YOU DO NOT HAVE TO HAVE BEEN IN A WAR ZONE TO GET BENEFITS!).

The benefits are many! As a civilian, you can keep your SGLI if you keep up the premiums: It is the best bang for the buck. Reservists and National Guard members are eligible if they were called to ac- tive duty (other than training) by a Federal order and completed the full period for which they were ordered to active duty.

All Soldiers must have an OTHER than Dishonorable Discharge.

NOTE: If the National Personnel Rec- ords Center said your records were burned in a fire, you can obtain a copy of your DD 214 at the County offices, in your “home of record.”

Also: Qualified disabled military retir- ees (with 20 or more years of service and 50% or higher disability rating) will now get paid both their full retirement pay and VA disability compensation. Tom can help you with this!

Please call Tom, at his Montrose Office, at 970-249-2115, for appointments or questions. Tom’s office is located in the Department of Health and Human Services (the old Ute Energy building), 1845 S. Townsend Ave. Vets who are already par- ticipating in the VA program, also need to keep Tom informed so that he can make sure the paperwork is running smoothly. Tom will not be back over to the West End in Oct., but will return on Nov. 20, from 10 A.M. to 2:30-ish.

He will be at the Department of Health and Human Services, 851 Main, in Nucla.

Please call Tom at 970-249-2115, to make an appointment for the 20th, if you want to discuss benefits.